BRONXVILLE, N.Y. – Sophomore forward Devon Sims (Centreville, Va.) recorded his first collegiate double-double on Monday evening, leading the Concordia College New York men's basketball team in points, rebounds, assists and steals in an 85-55 setback to regionally-ranked University of New Haven.
• Concordia falls to 0-5.
• New Haven, ranked fifth in the latest D2SIDA East Regional Poll, improves to 1-0.
• Sims scored 15 points on 7-14 shooting while setting her career-highs with 10 rebounds and four assists.
• Freshman forward Dan Porcic (Putnam, Conn.) chipped in 14 points with 12 coming from beyond the arc.
• For New Haven, Derrick Rowland scored 16 points while Quashawn Lane dished out seven assists and Kessly Felizor pulled down six rebounds,
HOW IT HAPPENED
• New Haven scored the opening four baskets of the contest before a Sims layup got the Clippers on the scoreboard with 17:17 left in the half.
• Sims basket sparked a 6-3 stretch which got the Clippers within five at 11-6 before back-to-back triples by the visitors extended the separation to 17-6 with 10:49 remaining in the half.
• Concordia cut the deficit down to single digits at 24-15, getting as close as eight at 26-18 only for a 12-0 run by the Chargers creating a 38-18 score with 2:07 left in the half.
• The Clippers ended the final two minutes on a 7-2 run to create a 40-25 halftime score.
• Identical to the first half, New Haven scored the initial eight points of the frame before the Clippers scored a basket with senior guard Brandon Fields (Washington, D.C.) connecting on a jumper to make it 48-27 with 16:20 left to play.
• Porcic followed Field's basket with a triple, only for a 31-10 stretch with the Clippers held without back-to-back baskets for the run creating a 79-40 score with 6:10 remaining .
• Concordia scored 11-straight points to make it 79-51, with Fields and freshman guard Dion Herrington (Englewood, N.J.) scoring the Clippers' final four points with New Haven adding six more over the final two minutes of play to create the final score.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
• The Clippers converted on 19-54 shots, going 5-16 from three-point territory and 12-16 from the free throw line.
• New Haven finished 31-65 from the field, 9-33 from distance and 14-18 from the free throw line.
• Concordia recorded 10 assists while New Haven had 20.
• Concordia held a 37-33 advantage in rebounds.
• Concordia committed 20 turnovers, resulting in 29 points for the Chargers. New Haven had 10 turnovers, leading to two points.
• Concordia' bench scored 13 points while the Chargers got 33 from its bench.
• Concordia recorded five steals with two blocks while New Haven stole the ball five times with four blocks.
The men's basketball team hosts defending East Coach Conference (ECC) Champions Molloy College on Wednesday, Nov. 20 in a 5 p.m. contest.