BRONXVILLE, N.Y. – The Concordia College (N.Y.) men's basketball team began Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference (CACC) play on Tuesday evening against Caldwell University, using a late rally to even the score but unable to take a lead over the vising Cougars in an 80-74 setback.
• Concordia drops to 3-5, 0-1 in CACC play.
• Caldwell improves to 5-2, 2-0 in league action.
• Redshirt-senior guard Cedrick McFadden (Washington, D.C.) scored a team-best 23 points with six assists.
• Senior forward Stephen Milhaven (Port Washington, N.Y.) scored 18 points with nine rebounds.
• Senior guard Michael Demello (White Plains, N.Y.) boasted a career-high three steals with four assists.
• Sophomore forward Alex White Jr. (Middletown, Conn.) recorded two blocks.
• For Caldwell, Ruud Lutterman scored 22 points with 10 rebounds while Ahmad Harrison recorded 15 points and 12 rebounds.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Caldwell jumped out to an early 7-0 lead before back-to-back Milhaven triples made it 7-6.
• Concordia evened the score at 9-all, taking their first lead of the contest at 11-9 off a pair of Milhaven free throws.
• Caldwell reclaimed the advantage at 13-11 with back-to-back baskets, leading to a 10-5 stretch for the visitors to create a seven-point separation at 23-16 with 11:23 to play.
• A McFadden jumper and three-straight free throws from junior forward Jesse Breeding (Cortlandt Manor, N.Y.) made it a one-possession contest at 23-21, but a Caldwell jumper ended the run and created a 25-21 score with 10:02 remaining in the half.
• The visitors recreated their seven-point cushion at 37-30 with 6:31 remaining before four-straight points from McFadden cut the separation to three at 37-34 with 5:08 to go in the half.
• The two sides split the final 16 points of the half with White Jr., McFadden and junior forward Anthony Barnes (Bowie, Md.) all scoring for Concordia to make it 45-42 at the half.
• Concordia cut the deficit down to one at 51-50 with 15:31 to play off a triple from sophomore guard Baron Goodridge (Bronx, N.Y.), but five-straight points for Caldwell made it 56-50 with 13:33 to go.
• The visitors took a game-high lead of nine after a 7-4 stretch created a 63-54 advantage with 8:37 to play, only for a McFadden triple sparking an 11-2 rally to even the score at 65-all with 5:58 to play.
• Caldwell used a 9-3 run to hold a six-point lead at 74-68 with 3:19 remaining. Concordia quickly brought the gap down to two at 74-72 off a free throw from Milhaven and triple from sophomore guard Jared Young (Mount Vernon, N.Y.), but a triple for the Cougars following a timeout gave the visitors a 77-72 lead with 1:54 to play.
• Concordia made it a one-possession contest at 77-74 off a Barnes jumper, but could not cut into the deficit any more as Caldwell ended the night with the final three points.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
• The Clippers converted on 22-55 shots, going 11-29 from three-point territory and 16-26 from the free throw line.
• Caldwell finished 30-67 from the field, 7-21 from distance and 13-18 from the free throw line.
• Concordia recorded 15 assists versus 23 for the visitors.
• Caldwell held a 44-32 advantage in rebounds.
• Concordia had 16 turnovers, resulting in 20 points for Caldwell. The Cougars had 17 turnovers, leading to 21 Clippers' points.
• Concordia' bench scored 13 points while Caldwell got 19 from its bench.
• Concordia recorded seven steals with four blocks while Caldwell stole the ball six times with two blocks.
The men's basketball team hosts Post University on Saturday, Dec. 8 in a 3 p.m. CACC contest in the final home game of 2018.