LITTLE FERRY, N.J. – Senior Andrew Medina (Brentwood, N.Y.) became the first member of the Concordia College New York baseball team to record a double-digit reached base streak this season on Friday afternoon, extending his personal-record to 11 after reaching base in both contests, as the Clippers capitalized on 12 walks with junior designated hitter Joseph Impeduglia (Staten Island, N.Y.) drawing a career-high four to take the second outing of a Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference (CACC) doubleheader against Bloomfield College 9-8 after falling in the opener 15-2.
• Concordia moves to 6-13, 1-3 in CACC play.
• Bloomfield moves to 3-17, 3-1 in league action.
STANDOUT PERFORMERS (GAME 1)
• Medina went 2-4 with one double, one run scored and one RBI.
• Impeduglia went 3-4 at the plate, reaching base safely his first three at bats, with one run scored.
• Senior third baseman John Calabrese (Lodi, N.J.) went 1-2 with a RBI and two walks.
• Freshman RHP Logan Vallias (East Northport, N.Y.) started on the mound for Concordia, allowing six runs with four earned off three hits in 2.0 innings.
• For Bloomfield, Tyree Bradley went 3-5 with a home run, two RBI and two runs scored while Jhoan Rodriguez went 1-3 with a RBI and three runs scored and Anthony Elefante went 2-5 with a home run, three RBI and two runs scored. Brelin Dixon got the start for the Bears, holding the Clippers to one unearned run off six hits with six strikeouts in 7.0 innings.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME 1)
• Opening the bottom of the first with a walk and base hit to put runners on the corners, a RBI groundout from Darwin Tavarez scored Khalid Legette before a Justin Sanchez single platted Lopez while a pair of Concordia errors allowed Sanchez and Rodriguez to touch home plate and create a 4-0 score.
• Leading off the top of the second with a single, Impeduglia scored off a RBI groundout from Medina to make it 4-1
• The Bears used back-to-back home runs from Elefante and Kendon Strachan in the bottom of the third to score four total runs and extend the separation to 8-1.
• Bloomfield added to its lead in the bottom of the fourth, starting with a one-out solo home run from Bradley before a pair of walks and three base hits with two outs scored three runs to create a 12-1 lead.
• After retiring the opening batter in the bottom of the fifth via a strikeout, three-straight base hits for the Bears propelled the host to a 13-1 edge.
• Leading off the bottom of the sixth with a walk and base hit, Bloomfield scored Jason Holguin off a Elvis Lopez groundout before a Bradley single platted Legette to make it 15-1.
• Starting the top of the ninth off with a double, Medina rounded the bases on a Calabrese single to create the final score.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE (GAME 1)
• Concordia recorded eight hits while the Bears had 14.
• The Clippers left eight runners on base, Bloomfield stranded nine.
• Both sides recorded three errors.
• Concordia stole one base, Bloomfield swiped two
STANDOUT PERFORMERS (GAME 2)
• Impeduglia drew four walks while scoring two runs with one RBI.
• Junior second baseman Kendell Luquis (New Rochelle, N.Y.) went 2-2 with two RBI.
• Medina went 1-3 with two RBI and a run scored.
• Senior shortstop Tyler Epple (Levittown, N.Y.) went 0-1 with three runs scored and two walks.
• Senior RHP Jack Wall (Levittown, N.Y.) started game two, allowing eight runs with seven earned off 10 hits in 4.2 innings to earn the victory.
• Junior RHP Connor Stapleton (Staten Island, N.Y.) retired the final Bear for the save.
• For Bloomfield, Bradley went 3-3 with a home run, three RBI and two runs scored while Tavarez went 1-2 with a home run, two runs scored, one RBI and one walk.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME 2)
• Loading the bases with no outs in the top of the first off an error and back-to-back walks, the Clippers took an early lead off an Impeduglia walk to score sophomore left fielder Jake Partridge (Bardonia, N.Y.) with senior right fielder Andrew Jackson (Massapequa, N.Y.) and junior catcher Denny DeLos Santos (Queens, N.Y.) sending senior center fielder Jaylin Martinez (Paramus, N.J.) and Epple home on a hit by pitch and walk before a Calabrese sacrifice fly platted Impeduglia to create a 4-0 score.
• Mirroring the Clippers' start with the bases loaded and no outs, Bloomfield evened the score in the bottom of the first off back-to-back doubles from Bradley and Rodriguez.
• Bloomfield took a 6-4 lead in the bottom of the second off a pair of home runs from Tavarez and Bradley
• Concordia flipped the two-run advantage in the top of the fourth, loading the bases off three-consecutive walks before a Medina single and Calabrese hit by pitch platted Epple and Imeduglia while a single from Luquis sent Jackson and Medina home to make it 8-6.
• Leading off with a double, Legette sent Morillo home on a single in the bottom of the fourth to make it 8-7.
• Beginning the top of the fifth with a hit by pitch, a sacrifice bunt from Jackson and sacrifice fly from Medina back-to-back scored Epple to extend the separation to 9-7.
• Bloomfield took advantage of two Concordia errors to keep the bottom of the fifth alive, scoring Elefante on a Holguin single to make it 9-8.
• Following the fifth inning, the game was called for administrative reasons.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE (GAME 2)
• Concordia tallied three hits while the Bears had 10.
• The Clippers left 10 runners on base, Bloomfield stranded five.
• Both sides committed three error.
• Concordia stole two bases, Bloomfield swiped three.
The baseball team travels to Jefferson University on Saturday, Mar. 23 for a conference doubleheader starting at 12 p.m.