PREVIEW: Men’s Basketball Battles Goledey-Beacom in CACC Quarterfinals on Saturday Afternoon
BRONXVILLE, NY – Concordia will travel to face the Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference (CACC) South Division #1 seed Goldey-Beacom College Lightning on Saturday afternoon. Tip-off at the Joseph West Jones Center in Wilmington, DE is set for 4:30pm as the Clippers will be playing in their first post season game since joining the CACC in 2009. The Lightning lead the all-time series, 3-0, between the two teams since their first meeting during the 2009-10 season according to historical records.
CONCORDIA VS. GOLDEY-BEACOM
- Goldey-Beacom won their first meeting, 86-75, on Jan. 9, 2010 in Wilmington, DE.
- The Clippers average 75.7 points per game against the Lighting while allowing their opponent to score 86.0 points per game.
- Concordia's bench averages 18.7 points per game against the Lightning while Goldey-Beacom's bench averages 30.7 points per game in their three meetings.
- The last time Concordia and Goldey-Beacom met (Feb. 18, 2012), the Lighting won 82-76 in Wilmington, DE. Brandon Whitaker (Harlem, NY) led the Clippers with a game-high 23 points and seven assists in 35 minutes of action. Argelix Gil (Brooklyn, NY) added 20 points and a team-high eight rebounds while Norman Pope (Washington, D.C.) chipped in with 10 points. As a team, Concordia shot 37.0% (27-of-73) from the field as their bench was outscored 46-21.
- All-Time Series Results:
|Jan. 9, 2010:||Goldey-Beacom, 86-75|
|Jan. 8, 2011:||Goldey-Beacom, 90-76|
|Feb. 18, 2012:||Goldey-Beacom, 82-76|
THE CONCORDIA COLLEGE CLIPPERS (12-14, 9-9 CACC)
- Picked to finish 6th in CACC North Division preseason poll, finished the season in 4th place in the North Division.
- Whitaker currently has 995 career points.
- Concordia is 5-11 in games away from the Meyer Athletic Center this season.
- The Clippers previously defeated Bloomfield College, 92-86 in OT, last Tuesday evening. Gil led Concordia with a game-high 26 points and 20 rebounds in 41 minutes of playing time. He also added four assists, a steal and a block while Whitaker added 23 points, five rebounds, three assists and a steal.
- The Clippers last made a playoff appearance during the 2007-08 season when they were members of the East Coast Conference (ECC).
- Concordia has scored a total of 2005 points (77.1 avg.) so far this season, 4th most in the last 16 seasons and the highest total in the CACC. Their free throw percentage (72.2%) is the best average in the past 16 seasons and was 2nd overall in the conference for this season.
- The Clippers finished with the 2nd best rebounding average in the CACC (40.7) and 2nd best steals per game average (8.2).
- Concordia records the second most turnovers in the conference (16.5) and fouls the most per game (21.3).
- Gil, named to the All-CACC Second Team, led the league during the regular season with 18.6 points per game, 3rd in rebounds per game (11.4) and steals per game (1.9), 4th in free throw percentage (84.5%) and 7th in field goal percentage (52.8%) and 3PT field goal percentage (39.7%).
THE GOLDEY-BEACOM COLLEGE LIGHTNING (16-10, 13-4 CACC)
- Picked to finish 3rd in CACC South Division preseason poll, finished the season in 1st place in the South Division.
- Goldey-Beacom is 9-2 in games at the Joseph West Jones Center this season.
- Last season the Lighting were South Division Champions and played in the CACC Championship game where they lost to Bloomfield College, 94-81.
- This is the sixth straight season the Goldey-Beacom has made the CACC post season.
- The Lighting previously fell to Chestnut Hill College, 78-74, last Tuesday evening. Tariq Uqdah led the team with 19 points and a game-high 16 rebounds in 35 minutes of playing time. Uqdah also recorded three steals, two assists and a block while Marcus Porter also recorded a double-double with 15 points and 10 rebounds. Four of the five starters for Goldey-Beacom scored in double figures.
- The Lighting have only lost back-to-back games once this season.
- Porter Leads the team in scoring as he averages 17.0 points per game while four players average in double figures for Goldey-Beacom.
- Porter was named to the All-CACC Second Team while A.J. Picard was named an All-CACC Honorable Mention.