PREVIEW: Men’s Basketball Plays in Final Regular Season Road Game on Saturday Afternoon
BRONXVILLE, NY – Concordia will travel to face Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference (CACC) South Division opponent Goldey-Beacom College on Saturday afternoon in their final regular season road game. Tip-off at the Joseph West Jones Center in Wilmington, DE is set for 3pm following the women's game. The Lightning lead the all-time series, 2-0, between the two teams since their first meeting during the 2009-10 season according to historical records.
CONCORDIA VS. GOLDEY-BEACOM
- Goldey-Beacom won their first meeting, 86-75, on Jan. 9, 2010 in Wilmington, DE.
- The Clippers average 75.5 points per game against the Lighting while allowing their opponent to score 88.0 points per game.
- The last time Concordia and Goldey-Beacom met (Jan. 8, 2011), the Lighting won 90-76 in Bronxville, NY. Argelix Gil (Brooklyn, NY) scored 15 points for the Clippers on 6-of-11 shooting from the field as he also added 5 rebounds while Brandon Whitaker (Harlem, NY) chipped in with 14 points on 6-of-10 shooting from the floor.
- All-Time Series Results:
Jan. 9, 2010: Goldey-Beacom, 86-75
Jan. 8, 2011: Goldey-Beacom, 90-76
THE CONCORDIA COLLEGE CLIPPERS (11-13, 8-8 CACC)
- Picked to finish 6th in CACC North Division preseason poll, currently tied for 4th in North Division standings.
- If Concordia wins one of their last two games they will secure a playoff berth.
- The Clippers previously defeated Holy Family University, 82-69, last Saturday afternoon. Whitaker led Concordia with a game-high 22 points on 7-of-10 shooting from the field. He also knocked down four three-point baskets and also added seven rebounds, five assists and three steals in 34 minutes of action. Gil added 13 points and a team-high eight rebounds while Dominique Spann (West Babylon, NY) also added 13 points.
- Whitaker currently has 949 career points.
- Within the CACC, Gil is 1st in points per game (18.2), 3rd in rebounds per game (11.2) and 7th in field goal percentage (51.9%). In Division II he is ranked 6th in rebounds per game according to the Feb. 12th rankings.
- Concordia scores the most points per game (76.5) and records the second most rebounds per game (40.2) in the CACC.
THE GOLDEY-BEACOM COLLEGE LIGHTNING (15-9, 12-3 CACC)
- Picked to finish 3rd in CACC South Division preseason poll, currently 1st in South Division standings.
- Goldey-Beacom is 7-7 in games away from the Joseph West Jones Center this season.
- The Lightning previously defeated Chestnut Hill, 63-61 in OT, on Wednesday evening. Rich Flemming led Goldey-Beacom with 17 points on 7-of-11 shooting from the field while adding three rebounds and an assist. A.J. Picard dropped 13 points while Tariq Uqdah added 10 points and a game-high 17 rebounds.
- Marcus Porter leads the team in points per game (17.6), which is 4th in the CACC, as the team has four players that average in double figures.
- Jordan Brooks is ranked 32nd in Division II for assists per game (5.2) as the team is ranked 30th in blocks per game (4.3) according to the Feb. 12th rankings.
- The Lightning are ranked 3rd in the CACC for field goal percentage (45.0%), blocked shots per game (4.1) and fewest turnovers per game (13.0).