BRONXVILLE, N.Y. – Junior third baseman Kendell Luquis (New Rochelle, N.Y.) scored a run in the opening inning of each outing of Wednesday's Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference (CACC) doubleheader to give the Concordia College New York baseball team an early lead, including his second home run of the season to begin the bottom of the first in game one, but visiting Felician University responded to the early advantages with late rallies to take both contests by scores of 8-6 and 4-3.
• Concordia falls to 11-30, 6-20 in CACC play.
• Felician, ranked seventh in the most recent National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA) improves to 26-18, 20-6 in league action.
STANDOUT PERFORMERS (GAME 1)
• Luquis went 2-4 with a home run, three RBI and one walk.
• Senior first baseman Andrew Medina (Brentwood, N.Y.) went 2-4 with a run scored and walk.
• Junior catcher Denny DeLos Santos (Queens, N.Y.) went 2-4 with one run scored.
• Sophomore second baseman Jake Partridge (Bardonia, N.Y.) went 2-5.
• Junior RHP Michael Romano (Yonkers, N.Y.) got the start on the mound, allowing six runs off six hits with five walks and two strikeouts in 5.2 innings.
• For Felician, L.T. Struble, Anthony Condito and Gino Tortoriello all recorded home runs. Alex Schwartz received the victory after holding the Clippers without a run for 4.0 innings while Nick Nardulli tossed the final inning for the save.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME 1)
• Luquis led off the bottom of the first with a home run to give Concordia an early 1-0 lead.
• Loading the bases with no outs in the bottom of the second off a leadoff single from DeLos Santos and back-to-back walks, senior shortstop Tyler Epple (Levittown, N.Y.) sent DeLos Santos home with a single before a junior designated hitter Joseph Impeduglia (Staten Island, N.Y.) sacrifice fly platted senior center fielder Jaylin Martinez (Paramus, N.J.) to extend the separation to 3-0.
• Felician loaded the bases in the top of the third with one out, sending Tortoriel home on a Condito groundout to make it 3-1.
• Leading off the bottom of the third with a double, senior right fielder Andrew Jackson (Massapequa, N.Y.) and Medina rounded the bases on a Luquis double to create a 5-1 advantage.
• Back-to-back home runs to start the top of the fifth from Tortoriel and Struble made it 5-3.
• Felician loaded the bases with two outs in the top of the sixth, platting Tortoriel on a walk for Danny Healey Jr. before a Condito grand slam propelled the visitors to an 8-5 lead.
• Leading off the top of the ninth with a single, Jackson platted Impeduglia with a sacrifice fly to make it 8-6 with Medina following with a single to put the game-winning run at the plate before a double play ended the contest.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE (GAME 1)
• Concordia recorded 11 hits while the Golden Falcons had eight.
• The Clippers left 11 runners on base, Felician stranded seven.
• Concordia committed one error.
• Concordia stole two bases.
STANDOUT PERFORMERS (GAME 2)
• Junior center fielder Nick Vlahakis (Oceanside, N.Y.) went 2-3.
• Impeduglia went 1-2 with two RBI.
• Senior Jack Wall (Levittown, N.Y.) tossed 6.0 innings in the losing start, allowing four runs with three earned off three hits with eight walks and four strikeouts.
• For Felician, Jordan Folgers went 1-3 with three RBI. Frank Campanelli received the victory on the mound while Nardulli got the save.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME 2)
• Leading off the bottom of the first with a single, Luquis scored off a two-out single from Impeduglia to take a 1-0 advantage.
• Felician capitalized on a Concordia error with two outs in the top of the second to keep the frame going, platting Santoro on a bases-loaded walk for Rahul Prince to even the score at 1-all.
• Reaching base on a one-out single in the bottom of the third, freshman left fielder Matt Rinaldi (Eastchester, N.Y.) rounded the bases off an Impeduglia groundout before a Partridge single scored Epple to give the Clippers a 3-1 lead.
• Felician loaded the bases with no outs in the top of the seventh, sending all three runners home on a double from Folgers to create the final score.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE (GAME 2)
• Concordia recorded six hits, the Golden Falcons tallied five.
• The Clippers left six runners on base, Felician stranded 10.
• Concordia committed two errors, Felician had one.
The baseball team travels to Caldwell University on Tuesday, April 23 for a conference doubleheader starting at 3 p.m.